Early Sunday morning, a deadly attack occurred at a gay night club called Pulse in Orlando, Florida, and while details on the incident remain slim, more information has been released about the suspect that everyone needs to know.
The man responsible for killing at least 50 people and wounding over 50 more has been identified as Omar Mateen. Law enforcement is currently struggling to piece together Mateen’s life and why he chose to savagely attack a club full of peaceful Americans, but five facts that are known about him help to paint a clearer picture.
- Mateen’s attack was similar to those carried out in Paris, France, where Islamic radicals stormed a concert hall and murdered over a hundred people. Gunmen stormed the Bataclan Theater and opened fire on the crowd using tactical rifles and using explosive devices. Mateen was seen wearing what people called a “suspicious device” as he walked through the club shooting innocents with a tactical style rifle.
Gunman in Orlando shooting may have had some kind of device strapped to him, police say https://t.co/AZ4UxysYMU
— CNN (@CNN) June 12, 2016
- The FBI has suggested that Mateen may be linked to radical Islam as well. A Florida state senator also appeared on Fox News and stated that his intelligence source said that Mateen may have ties to the Islamic State terrorist group.
When the FBI suggests the #OrlandoShooter may have made terrorist threats before, it means he was being watched.
— Evan J. Eastman (@evanjeastman) June 12, 2016
- Both of Mateen’s parents are from Afghanistan, although he was a U.S. citizen. According to CBS News, he was born in America in 1986 and he doesn’t have a criminal history other than the vicious assault last night.
- Mateen had both a concealed carry permit and a security license in the state of Florida.
— Andrea (@AndreaNRuth) June 12, 2016
- According to voting records, Mateen was a registered Democrat in St. Lucie County, Florida.
- Mateen had been under federal investigation in the past, but the FBI halted their inquiry into him.
From the Daily Beast:
Mateen came to the attention of federal authorities twice prior to being identified as the gunman in the Orlando nightclub mass shooting, a senior law enforcement source told The Daily Beast.
The source reports that Mateen became a person of interest in 2013 and again in 2014. The Federal Bureau of Investigation at one point opened an investigation of him, but subsequently closed the case when it produced nothing that appeared to warrant further investigation.
- Mateen’s father is running for president…in Afghanistan.
Again from the Daily Beast:
Seddique Mateen, appears to reside in Florida, but is said to be presently running for office in Afghanistan.
Seddique told NBC News that the sight of two men kissing angered his son.
“We are saying we are apologizing for the whole incident. We weren’t aware of any action he is taking,” Seddique said. “We are in shock like the whole country.” Seddique added that the attack “has nothing to do with religion.”
Florida incorporation papers indicate that a Seddique Mateen heads a non-profit organization, The Durand Jirga, Inc. The non-profit was formed in 2010 and is registered at the Port St. Lucie, Florida address where both the father and Omar Mateen appear to reside.
- Just three days ago, ISIS threatened to attack Florida.
— TheLastRefuge (@TheLastRefuge2) June 12, 2016