Last week, Megyn Kelly had her first prime time special called Megyn Kelly Presents, and it didn’t exactly do as well as she had hoped. After learning about the special’s lackluster performance, she received some devastating news from her network.
According to a report from Breitbart News that sourced the New York Magazine, Kelly’s contract is about to be up with Fox News, and the less-than-stellar performance of her special is making it hard for her to get what she wants. In fact, since the special was barely able to achieve half of its goal for the number of viewers, Kelly’s leverage for negotiating a new contract is all but gone.
The New York Magazine has more:
Megyn Kelly’s much-publicized broadcast special with Donald Trump was supposed to launch the Fox News star into the stratosphere of television anchordom. Instead, the widely panned show seems to have achieved the opposite result: It exposed the extent of her limited mainstream appeal. Kelly drew just 4.8 million viewers on Tuesday night, a number television executives say is a disappointment by any measure. Three senior executives I spoke with say an audience of 9 million would have been a success. “Not good for her at all,” was how one insider put it.
In the days since, Kelly has been working to contain the fallout. She took aim at critics on her cable show Wednesday night by deploying an age-old Fox News tactic: claiming the backlash was a result of liberal media bias. But behind the scenes, she is said to be worried about the response. “She’s very upset with the show reaction, and in hindsight with how it was produced,” one Fox veteran told me.
Apparently Kelly was trying to use the special as a major bargaining chip with Fox and other networks. She was seeking to renew with Fox for $25 million and an expanded on-air role. Sources previously said that Roger Ailes couldn’t afford to lose her, but now things seemed to have changed greatly after an insider said that Ailes had been heard “snickering” when Kelly’s special was mentioned during a meeting.
The Kelly camp also appears to be in panic mode after the special bombed. When Kelly’s publicist was called for a comment on the issue, they immediately hung up the phone without any remarks whatsoever.
Unfortunately for Kelly, this was an avoidable situation that resulted from her going for Trump’s jugular in the first GOP debate and asking him a loaded question. That alone turned off many viewers, but then she followed it up with months of Trump bashers on her show, and the final nail in her coffin was likely when she had Michelle Fields on her show to peddle her assault hoax on national television.
Sorry, Megyn, but it’s never a good idea to upset the people you rely on for your job. While the liberal media and anti-Trump Fox executives may have praised you for your actions, the people who mattered most weren’t pleased about it at all. Now you’re paying the price… and it’s a heavy price to pay.