Latest News
home News BREAKING: 5k Marathon For Marines In New Jersey Was Just BOMBED, Here’s What We Know

BREAKING: 5k Marathon For Marines In New Jersey Was Just BOMBED, Here’s What We Know

If you enjoyed this story, make sure you share it with others by clicking the icons below!

New Jersey was preparing to have a 5k marathon for charity for the Marine Corps Saturday morning when what should have been a fun day for our soldiers took a terrifying turn.

According to a report from NBC News, an explosion went off in Seaside Heights around 9:30 a.m. this morning as around 5,000 people gathered to run the third annual Marine Semper Fi race to benefit the MARSOC Foundation, and apparently the danger isn’t over yet. Authorities are currently investigating another suspicious device in the same area.

Fortunately, nobody was injured when a pipe bomb exploded in a trash can along the route because the start of the race had been delayed. Apparently, people were running late with their sign-ins and even coordinators were forced to push the start time back, which likely prevented numerous injuries and possibly even deaths from the explosive device.

A report from CBS News stated that police found two other explosive devices in the trash can where the explosion occurred, but they either failed to detonate or weren’t set off.

The race has since been canceled, however, New Jersey State Police said they’re investigated another suspicious device in the area. The Bomb Squad is at the scene, which is near where the first explosion happened on D Street near Ocean Ave, and authorities have evacuated homes in the immediate area.

According to NBC News:

The MARSOC Foundation is a non-profit organization that raises money to support “active duty and medically retired MARSOC personnel and their families as well as to the families of Marines and Sailors who have lost their lives in service to our Nation,” according to the group’s website.

There’s not much else information regarding the incident or any possible motives for the suspect, who police have not yet named. However, as this story develops we’ll update it with the latest information.



You Might Also Like